Restaurants across the country have been inundated with so many reservation requests since the restrictions were lifted that some have even reported their online reservation facilities having failed.
As the Irish Examiner reports, a restaurant in Cork has been booked for its 8pm sitting tonight minutes after last night’s announcement.
Other venues across the city reported that their online booking facilities crashed as people rushed to make reservations online following the announcement of An Taoiseach, Micheál Martin.
Phil Ryan, manager of Isaac’s restaurant on MacCurtain St in Cork City, said the phone ‘jumped’ immediately after last night’s announcement, with seats for the restaurant’s 8pm sitting sold out within 20 minutes. Between 75 and 80 people will dine there tonight during this session.
He specifies that online reservations are also already made for the next two weekends, while calls are still received today from people wishing to reserve a table for this evening:
The phone picked up and it rings all day today for tonight.
At 4 p.m. this afternoon, many of Limerick’s most popular bars were already buzzing. Pharmacia, on Sarsfield Ave, said it would be open until 12.30pm tonight, with manager Ger Devine expecting a busy evening.
“We’ve been busy so far today, and expect to be angry for the night. Then we face an extremely busy week of student events starting Monday,” he said.
Mr Devine said they were absolutely delighted to be open, fully and freely, once again, after the announcement of the lifting of restrictions, but added that he was annoyed with how it had been done, with little time given to the publicans to prepare.
“But I guess we expect that level of recklessness from this government,” he added.
Jack Costello, manager of Locke Bar on George’s Quay in Limerick, said they would also be open until 12.30am tonight.