If you arrived here looking for “how to disable Google Chrome tabs”, we can sympathize and the good news is that the answer is simple. Chrome is the most popular web browser out there and between searching for information, shopping, or viewing content, we tend to open countless tabs. Sometimes while surfing the web, we keep opening tab after tab and moving through our day. Unfortunately, sometimes in the midst of your proliferating web excursions, a site automatically plays the sound of a video or advertisement, and that background noise can be irritating and annoying.
Fear not, this handy guide will help you disable the aural attack of those Chrome tabs, whether you’re using a Chromebook, MacBook, or PC.
How to Disable Google Chrome Tabs
It is quite simple to mute the sound in Google Chrome, just follow these simple steps:
1. In the Chrome browser, open the website you want to disable. Many times websites automatically play videos with audio streaming to grab your attention and it is very annoying.
2. Right-click this tab in the tab bar. (The offending tab will display a small speaker icon to help call each other).
3. Once the context menu appears, you will find the “Mute Site” option, just select it and you should be back to your quiet browsing session.
By just using this simple method, you can turn off the occasional annoying sound that may play automatically.
How to Unmute Sound in a Google Chrome Tab
If you thought it was easy, reactivating a tab in Google Chrome is just as quick and easy.
Just follow the easy steps:
1. In Google Chrome, open the website or search for it by looking for the speaker icon that appears in the audio playback tabs.
2. Next, right-click on the tab you want to re-enable.
3. Select the option that says “Unmute Site”.
The audio will now return to playing as you chose to punish yourself with background noise. Just kidding, but it really is a handy way to mute and unmute audio in your tabs and it’s quick and easy, but before you go, here’s a little tip.
Another dumb thing
Some people like to use keyboard shortcuts to disable or re-enable tabs or control other functions in Chrome. There are many extensions to help users create hotkeys. Mute Tab Shortcuts is one such extension that you can download and use to create hotkeys that you can quickly access and use.
Have fun muting the sound to your liking using either method. If you enjoy learning these kinds of tips and tricks, you can check out the rest of our handy tips that will help you improve your everyday computing and technology experiences.